Monday, October 11, 2010

Columbus Boat Snack

Toddler, Pre-K, K, 6 & Up

I am so glad I found a great opportunity to try out this fun snack! Of course you don't have to do it on Columbus Day--your child will love this any day of the week!

For this snack you will need:
  • Oranges (I just did 3, obviously you would need plenty for a party)
  • Jello in any color or flavor (brighter colors make more of an impression)
  • Toothpicks
  • Paper
Now, I prepared my kids snack the night before so I would have less mess, and it takes time for the Jello to set.

First, cut your oranges in half. Squeeze the juice out and get all of the insides out. I cut around the fruit and then scooped it out with a small measuring spoon.

Make your Jello according to instructions, and pour inside the orange cups. (I waited for mine to cool down before pouring, I was worried that the boiling temperatures could boil the skin).

Once the jello sets, cut your orange half in half again. Now add your tooth pick and sail. I made my sails look like the sails from the Columbus boats to tie in our theme, but you could just stick to triangles if you wanted.

Here's a look at the original idea I based my snack on:

No comments:

Post a Comment