Thursday, November 4, 2010

Count Your Blessings

Mommy Craft

I am going to take a break from the owl theme and share with you a great idea I found online.

Make a blessings countdown to Thanksgiving!!

What a great way to countdown to the holiday and remember what it is all about at the same time.

The original crafter had her children read the card each night at the dinner table (which I love!), but I am having my children help fill up the cards.

When making the poster I realized that there were 25 days in November until Thanksgiving, and there are 26 letters in the alphabet. So, I am tweaking the idea and making a letter a day. Gracie is having fun coming up with things she is thankful for that start with that letter.

Since we started a few days late we had to catch up--but not by much and I still very much wanted to do this craft idea.

For this craft you will need:
(well, you should do it your way, but I will tell you how I made mine)
  • 13 regular sized envelopes
  • Scrapbook paper
  • Glue stick
  • Index cards (25)
  • Sharpie or pen
  • Large poster or foam board
I sealed all 13 envelopes and then covered them with scrapbook paper. I didn't have any of these on hand like the original crafter, but it wasn't that much to pick up 5 different sheets at Ben Franklin. Plus, I was able to color coordinate them :)

I cut the envelopes in half and lined them up on my poster board in nice rows and glued in place.

I cut index cards down to just slightly stick out of the top of the mini envelope holders.

I added a title, and some added shapes to a few of the pockets for flair.

Now you just have to add your blessings one by one to the "calendar." You could add them day by day, or do as the original crafty mom did and write them and have the children read them at dinner time.

Have fun counting your blessings, I am sure you have many!

No comments:

Post a Comment