Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Squirrel Magnet


6 & Up, Mommy Craft


There really isn't much of a pattern for this craft, but I found the idea on a Bible School web page. So, I kind of did my own thing, and it looks super cute on the fridge. But, you too can make a squirrel magnet for fall, or really any kind of magnet to show off your little ones art work.

To make this craft you will need:
  • Paper
  • A good pattern
  • Brown Paper bag
  • magnet
I started to make my magnet out of felt, but I found that it was a lot harder to do, so I just used thick brown construction paper, traced the pattern on to it. I added some contrast by making certain parts of the squirrel and nut a different color. I used a brown paper bag for the squirrel's belly (which I just kind of free-handed), and the top of the nut. The bottom of the nut is brown paper bag too, but I knew it needed some color, so I colored over it with a maroon-ish colored marker.

Once I finished my cute little squirrel I used an old magnet. You probably have a ton of these some where like from a pizza or Chinese place. But, if you don't, you can buy magnets from the Dollar Store or any other place, usually in the craft section. Just glue your art work to the front of it. I cut my magnet a little and used a small strip for the nut so that it would lay nice and flat.

I had already decided to make a squirrel magnet for the theme this week, but when I found the adorable saying days later, I couldn't wait to get it assembled. What a perfect reminder of what we are all striving to do as parents!

"From little acorns mighty oaks do grow"--American Proverb

If you want to use the same squirrel I used, I am adding it below. It was simply a free coloring page I found online.

No comments:

Post a Comment